West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

My Wedding Transportation (Maybe)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Wedding Transportation (Maybe)
    Posted: 08 March 2018 at 4:50pm
Hi, this is my first post. I'm going to log the rehab of my '70 1500 beetle here. I'm getting married in June this year and have promised my bride to be that my beetle will be my transport on the big day

Here it is in all it's glory

Everything you see was done in the early '90s by the previous owner. I forget how long I've owned it, must be about 20 years. In that time I've fixed it a bit, driven it a bit and parked it a lot

Sadly, although the p.o. threw money at the car he didn't know much about them and did no work to it himself. So it was in very poor condition when I got it. It should really have been scrapped but I was young and full of enthusiasm. So I fitted pans and heater channels and repaired the bulkheads and fixed all the stuff that you can't see. Unfortunately this left all the exterior panels with massive amounts of filler in them from the expensive respray the p.o. got done. I knew it was going to cost a fortune in repair panels and I was worried that I might not get it spot on, so in the back of my mind I was thinking about re-shelling it. So once in a while I'd check ebay, gumtree and facebook

I spotted this on facebook and had it bought it for £350 the next day. It's an '85 Mexibug

The plan is to use the red bug as a donor for the Mexi shell and then put the Mexi shell onto the '70 pan

While I was waiting for the Mexi to be delivered I made this. It's mostly salvaged from the huge trampoline we had in the back garden that got destroyed in a storm

I tested it by moving my T4 into the corner of the garage

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 5:00pm
After a jet wash I was able to see what I'd bought a bit better
Original factory fit quarters

Factory horn, still on its bracket

Original, but rusty, metal

Edited by whamcars - 08 March 2018 at 5:06pm
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
malky39 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote malky39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 5:35pm
Sound like you will have you time filled from now until June
☺️. I too will be using my bug as transport to my wedding this year also in June
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 8:23pm
Take it the floor of the mexibug is gubbed then? Good luck for this project :)
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 9:35pm
I’m going to be busy. That’s for sure. I hope yours is in better condition than mine

Edited by whamcars - 08 March 2018 at 9:54pm
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by malky39

☺️. I too will be using my bug as transport to my wedding this year also in June

Good luck. Have you got a build thread?
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by gayle

Take it the floor of the mexibug is gubbed then? Good luck for this project :)

The pan’s not too bad. I managed to sell it on eBay. The pan on the red bug has had a lot of work done on it. New brakes, drop spindles, new steering box and a narrowed beam. Plus it’ll speed up the conversion from lhd to rhd
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
malky39 View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote malky39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by whamcars

Originally posted by malky39

Good luck. Have you got a build thread?

No build thread, wouldn't be much to show Ed might disagree though, my bug is running and usable it more bits I want to sort rather than they are really need to be done. Rusty spots, ride height sorted and if funds allow the interior sorted aswell. MOT is first on the list as it due next week
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 7:19pm
Can anyone tell me how to edit photo's? I've got a duplicate in one post that needs to go

TIA

Time to split the body from the pan

So close

Down safely. I can move it with one hand now

I'm very happy with the condition of the body. It's a little rusty but it's had next to no work done to it. The same can't be said for the pan, which has been "repaired"

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 7:33pm
I couldn't figure out where I should start with the metal work. In the end I decided to remove the rusty front bulkhead. Looking at the options I could fit a poor quality pattern part or pay for a genuine vw part which would need converting to RHD anyway. so I decided to try and repair and convert the one that's already on the car

The drilling of many holes

I shouldn't have drilled along the top. I should have cut the boot floor about an inch behind the edge so that it coulkd be seam welded back in. But I only figured that out after I'd got the bulkhead out

I ground these welds down with a finger grinder. I don't know of any other tool that would have done such a neat job. It's one of my favourite tools

So close, but the school run stopped me in my tracks. Ah well there's always tomorrow

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 7:54pm
It's out. It looks fit for the skip. Years ago that's where it would have ended up but not today

Cleaned

I decided to start with something easy. Pitting and rust holes on the top rear. Trying to weld up holes like these is a recipe for extreme frustration. So I removed the bit that's sticking out

Inside it looked like this

Repair piece made

Once I was ready to weld I gave the inside of the box section a good clean then a couple of coats of Screwfix cold galvanising spray

It's been a while since I did any tack stacking. A couple of them look quite nice. The rest are just ugly. Oh well I'll get better as I go on

Done

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 8:14pm
This is the outer edge of the bit that sits on the napoleons hat, where it joins the heater channel

Checking I've still got a right angle

The other side of the bulkhead base has a lot more rot. So I'll remake it in sections

The camera battery died so I just cracked on

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 8:23pm
There were a couple of areas of rot right in the middle of the bulkhead so I tackled them both at once

Hole

Patch. This little bit of metal took forever to make. I understood what I needed to do but without a shrinker/stretcher I couldn't figure out how to make the metal do what I wanted

In the end I used the pick end of a hammer on a dolly and gave it about a million hits

Some big gaps to fill but I’ll get better

The payoff for all that effortBig smile

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:56pm
The second repair to the middle of the bulkhead

Nearly there

I managed to grind right through the patch while I was smoothing out the welds. I had a go at filling the holes but I just made more holes. So I made a filler piece and welded it in. And then I ground right through that too. I ended up cutting the whole mess out. The smooth bit is the filler piece

I decided to do something else as I was getting wound up by the mess I was making

My first line was too low. By going higher I could get rid of hidden rot and the mess over on the left

That turned out pretty nice. It will only need a couple of mm of filler to get it flat. I try to do no filler repairs but I'm still learning and I don't always get it right

Edited by whamcars - 10 March 2018 at 12:58pm
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 1:22pm
I've given up on the bulkhead for the time being. I ground through it again! It seems the bulkhead is made from 0.6mm steel. Add to that the fact that I haven't picked up a welder for about six months and it was bound to go wrong

I decided to have a look at the engine bay. It still had the factory tarboard fitted. So I had no idea what was lurking

P1060536 by snedboy sneddon, on Flickr

I thought about keeping the tarboard but it was a bit chewed up

That looks alright. I removed the tags that held the tarboard on

The body had been stored on trestles before I got it. Looks like the engine bay sides took the weight

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 12:35am
I moved round to the nearside rear wheelarch. I wanted to make sure the wing mounting flanges were good so I ground the paint back and found mostly good metal

There was a broken bolt in the bottom wing mount

I've given up on stud extractors. I must have tried loads over the years. They're usually a waste of time. Just get the drill bit centered and then go up the sizes until you can get the correct size tap started in the hole

Looking at the front of the arch there was a fair bit of corrosion. So I started cutting

I ended up with a hole that needed three different bits of metal to fill it

First bit in

Second bit in. I realised I hadn't made the first bit big enough so I added a bit. I couldn't find a decent pic of this area on the net and I didn't take a pic before I chopped it. I looked in my other beetle but it's so rotten, it's literally coming apart at the seems. In the end I cleaned back the seam sealer on the other side of the car and used that as a reference

Attempting to recreate the factory welds

The completed repair. The weld blobs are from the factory so I kept them

Edited by whamcars - 12 March 2018 at 12:39am
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 1:05am
I got stuck in to working on the car without really thinking about what I was doing. So I decide to do a bit of prep work. When I welded up the red '70 the glass ended up like sandpaper with all the grinding flash. I tried to polish the marks out but it was still a mess

Sections of old paddling pool pinned to the window rubbers. I tried gaffer tape but it just wouldn't stay put. The headliner will just have to fend for itself

At the same time I removed the door trims. Inside the doors looks amazing. Not a spot of rust

Dirty but not rusty

Edited by whamcars - 12 March 2018 at 1:14am
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
KennyC View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 7:39pm
1985 Mexican, 1200cc, in that colour (looks like LA7Y Zinngrau/Pewter Grey) with those wheels and a grey headlining....
That looks like a rare special edition “50 Jahre Kafer” “Jubilee Beetle”
One of 3150 built to commemorate the last Beetle officially sold through the VW dealerships in Europe.
Did you say the chassis sold?? (I saw it on eBay)
These cars came with Golf GTI steering Wheels, Golf GTI style trim on the seats and green tinted glass...
There’s less than 10 in the UK I’m told....
If you’re on FacePest, check out the “50 Jahre Kafer” page
Will be worth more when finished in it’s original spec I’d guess
Have fun in the garage :-)
Ken.
(Lockerbie)
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 1:12pm
A good source of info on repairing panels
http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/70135/panels

All done using basic equipment
Ttfn glenn
tinbashing

Edited by 93fxdl - 15 March 2018 at 1:14pm
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 1:14pm
Agree on the LA7Y paint code. It's the same as my Scirocco
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by KennyC

1985 Mexican, 1200cc, in that colour (looks like LA7Y Zinngrau/Pewter Grey) with those wheels and a grey headlining....
That looks like a rare special edition “50 Jahre Kafer” “Jubilee Beetle”
One of 3150 built to commemorate the last Beetle officially sold through the VW dealerships in Europe.
Did you say the chassis sold?? (I saw it on eBay)
These cars came with Golf GTI steering Wheels, Golf GTI style trim on the seats and green tinted glass...
There’s less than 10 in the UK I’m told....
If you’re on FacePest, check out the “50 Jahre Kafer” page
Will be worth more when finished in it’s original spec I’d guess
Have fun in the garage :-)
Ken.
(Lockerbie)

I think you're right. A lot of what is on the "50 Jahre Kafere" page matches what's on the car. Unfortunately the pan is sold and I don't drive LHD cars so it won't be going back to original
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by 93fxdl

A good source of info on repairing panels
http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/70135/panels

All done using basic equipment
Ttfn glenn
tinbashing

That is a good source. Here's a couple more

A total metal master

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182565

Inspiration for anyone welding a beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629294&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=f4c3cff73dbec11c7ec82b7390f36184
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2018 at 5:01pm
I haven't posted for a while. I've been having a nightmare getting my taxi through it's Hackney test. Anyway there has been some progress on the beetle

The next bit to be fixed

Rot cut away to reveal more rot

I won't cut any more out until I'm happy with the fit of the first repair panel

Ready to fit

I had to cut the quarter panel to gain access to the rotten inner panel

spot welds drilled out

Inside the quarter was nice and clean

Second repair patch made

Patch number three. This is for the side the running board mounts to

It just needs the captive nut for the running board welded on

I could see that the jacking point reinforcement was a bit crusty so I cut away part of the heater channel closing plate to gain access

The jacking point reinforcemnt is rusty but saveable

Saved

Edited by whamcars - 28 March 2018 at 6:53pm
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 7:58pm
Heater channel wire brushed back to shiny metal. The black pitting will get a coat of Aquasteel rust converter

When I think I'm ready for primer I wipe down with a clean white cloth. Judging by the colour of this it needs more scrubbing with celly thinners

With everything cleaned and primed I lined the jacking reinforcement up with the holes in the sill

Checking the alignment

Zapped. It took a lot of heat to plug weld this properly

Edited by whamcars - 04 April 2018 at 3:45pm
Wham Cars Retro Workshop
whamcars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whamcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 3:51pm
More

Checking the running board lines up with the new captive nut

Wham Cars Retro Workshop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>