Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

T25 Driveshaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TheDocmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T25 Driveshaft
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:31pm
I was having trouble with CV joint bolts coming loose, then lost drive a couple of weeks ago. Took me a while to get the last rounded bolt out of the wheel end...
I went to strip the joints off tonight to find the troublesome inner end seems to be missing it's circlip and I guess has been hammering itself against the gearbox, hence the mushroom shape in the pic. Question is whether that shaft is now dead or can I reuse it if I can get the remnants of the joint off?

Hmm... That might be a bit big!

Edited by TheDocmeister - 14 May 2018 at 10:21pm
TheDocmeister View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheDocmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:19pm
Goodbye Apple, thank you Microsoft Wink

Edited by TheDocmeister - 14 May 2018 at 10:22pm
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:24pm
Don't see why you couldn't use it as long as it all fits together and the new circlip goes on well enough
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheDocmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:37pm
Well if the Boss says it's OK...  Tongue

Just don't have anything to compare it to. I've never seen one of these before in good or bad nick!
Suppose that very end bit shouldn't really be doing anything much anyway.

rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:01pm
Looks like it might have mushroomed too much to allow the cv to come off. Even if you got the old one off, i doubt you would get a new one on without wrecking the new joint.I would bin it.

Ed

Edited by rodntod - 14 May 2018 at 11:01pm
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheDocmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:13pm
Yeah, it's jammed on all right at the moment Ed - took me a wee while to figure out the missing circlip, was surprised it wouldn't just knock off! 
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:44pm
File off the rounded edges until the joint will come off them recut the groove using a hacksaw. The part of the shaft that is damaged doesn't do very much so hacking it about will not cause a problem
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheDocmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:20pm
Thanks Glenn, hopefully home early enough to have a go at it this afternoon. Picking up another shaft on my way home too just in case. Hopefully it'll strip down more easily if the original is playing hard to get!
BenGould View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Committee Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote BenGould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:02pm
If you can hit it hard enough you might be able to get the remains of the CV joint to re-cut the splines for you.

Ben.
 Post Reply Post Reply