West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Restos and repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

70s VW Beetle Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote vee_dub_air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70s VW Beetle Project
    Posted: 29 July 2018 at 6:37pm
ello,

So 20 years since last owning a air cooled VW I was offered a project.

I was going to say its sat in the garage for the past 12 month since it arrived in the cover of darkness, but with uploaded the pics i have of it , it turns out its been 2 year.

So anyway thought if I create a Post online i might actually work on getting it on the road.  All be it, with the amount of time I can give it it may take another 2 year.

So this is the post of the restroration of a vw beetle.

Needs a bit of work, no engine for starters but looks like its solid with with no welding needing done.  will know more once take proper look at it.

Some Pics of it below .

IMG_20160619_162836 by vee_dub_air, on Flickr" border="">

20180622_151642 by vee_dub_air, on Flickr" border="">

Edited by vee_dub_air - 31 July 2018 at 3:14pm
gayle View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Quote gayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 9:20am
Nice car, look forward to seeing your progress :)
Highly medicated for the safety of the masses
vee_dub_air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vee_dub_air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by gayle

Nice car, look forward to seeing your progress :)

Cheers Gayle. 

its one of two motor projects, this probably the easier of the two.
Dave Campbell View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2018 at 5:44pm
Did it start out as a left hand drive model and was converted at some point? Looks like an odd plate has been welded in below the speedo and the dash looks like what you find below the really late model bugs that have the padded over dash.

Good luck with the project. 

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Quote vee_dub_air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2018 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Dave Campbell

Did it start out as a left hand drive model and was converted at some point? Looks like an odd plate has been welded in below the speedo and the dash looks like what you find below the really late model bugs that have the padded over dash.

Good luck with the project. 

Dave

The story i heard Dave was it had came from up north and the guy that bought it was meant to go back up to get the engine that went with it but never ever did.  Dont think the the guy did any work on it.

the thought did cross my mind when i went had a look at it,  filler on the dash and a grab handle directly above the drivers head, but I was more interested in looking for rot at the time.

But aye it does look like its been a LHD car with a padded dash. 

It explains why there is new wiring drilled through the rear firewall and the log book showing it as first being in registered in 2001 makes more since then.  Exported then maybe?.  it is an L plate.

Could understand wanting to import a early 60s model, but a 70s ? 

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28sjfTk]

Post Options Post Options   Quote vee_dub_air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 9:49pm
Collected a engine today that was meant to be a 1500cc.

Had come out a Splitty. Engine code was not the H I was expecting.

Took it anyway and when got home clean up the engine code and it has X at the end.

Quick look online suggests it is a Replacement case/Exchange engine from the VW Factory.

The code stamped in between the B and the X looks like it was done while on a trampoline.

The B would mean it was origially a Type 2 1600. 

Post Reply Post Reply