Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Recommended Tradesmen / Businesses
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Auto Electrician

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rrsmith21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Electrician
    Posted: 06 September 2018 at 5:17pm
Hi I am looking for an auto electrician Glasgow or Paisley area to help with the wiring on my classic VW  Tongue

needs to be a home visit .......any recommendations  would be great ..

Thanks in advance

Robert
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 5:56pm
hi there. did you find the electrician? i am looking for one. thanks
Richard
rrsmith21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rrsmith21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 12:56pm
Hi sorry for the delay, no I had no  recommendations for an auto electrician but in the end I downloaded the electric schematics and fixed them myself..

Regards

Bob
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 1:10pm
Hi there. Thanks for.you reply. I am on it. Learning as well. Thanks. Regards

Richard
Richard
rrsmith21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rrsmith21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 3:42pm
I found that my Trekker only had a handful of wires and was not that hard to follow the schematics, would recommend a volt meter for checking wiring.
I also found Samba a good place for wiring diagrams and most have the wire colours and diameter.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringthing.php

Bob Clap
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 5:39pm
Thanks mate.

That's what I am doing. But now I discovered my alternator is not working.

Looking for a cheap one. Thanks again.

Regards.

Richard
Richard
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 12:21am
Originally posted by RichVazq

Thanks mate.

That's what I am doing. But now I discovered my alternator is not working.

Looking for a cheap one. Thanks again.

Regards.

Richard

Before replacing your alternator, check if it needs an external regulator and that you have a power supply to the small connection to power it up
Ttfn Glenn
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 11:45am
Hi there. It's the external regulator but it is a Motorola model and it's impossible to find.I have checked the power supply and everything works but this sensor.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Richard
Richard
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 11:55am
Richard,

What vehicle and engine do you have? And can you post a pic of the regulator you need,as someone might have one lurking in a corner.

Ed
"may the fweem be with you" eddie wan kenobi
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 12:22pm
Hi there.

This is it

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1241015.jpg

http://www.chn-auto.com/e_productshow/?1472-M5-762-MOTOROLA-auto-spare-parts-alternator-voltage-regulator-1472.html

This website sells 200 unis minimum.

Cheers
Richard
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 12:23pm
My car is a 1300 beetle. Year 1972. Thanks
Richard
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 12:25pm
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1030420.jpg
Richard
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 4:53pm
Does your Gen/Alt light on the dash work? ie,does it come on with the ignition and go out when you start the bug?

RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 5:02pm
I will check that tomorrow, I am away. The car engine starts but I have to fix many things before driving that's why I didn't see that. I will do it tomorrow. Whats happening if it doesn't go? Or if it stays on? Thank you!
Richard
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 5:03pm
I know it's not working because it has the same voltage as the battery and it doesn't charge it. Thanks
Richard
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 5:05pm
The dash light completes the charging circuit ,so if it's not lit with the key turned on ,it's not gonna charge.Check that first and let me know,then we can troubleshoot it from there.
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 5:22pm
Ok. I will write you tomorrow. Thank you very much.
Richard
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 8:28am
Hi there. I tried yesterday but the car didn't start. I put a new coil but now no spark. I don't know what can be.bWhen I manage to start it again I will message you. Thanks.

Richard
Richard
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 10:18am
When you turned the ignition key on did the 2 red lights come on at the bottom left and right of the speedo?
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 2:17pm
Yes. Both lights on when ignition key turned
Richard
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 7:00pm
That's a good start,and when it starts do they both go out? Out of interest,what voltage reading were you getting at the battery with the engine running?
RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 7:06pm
Yesterday didn't start but a few days ago I checked 12.5v in the battery with the car running. Thanks for your time and help mate
Richard
rodntod View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodntod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 7:15pm
No worries Richard,happy to help out if i can.

A couple more things to check.

If you take the small spade off the regulator,does the left hand light still come on? Just in case somebody has been playing with the wiring in the past,I've seen some wild wiring over the years.

Is you gearbox to chassis earth lead in place,in good condition,and tight?

If it all checks out otherwise,and the result is definitely a dud alt/reg,then you will be easier getting a good 2nd hand og Bosch one .It'l be a direct plug and play replacement if you get one with an internal regulator.

RichVazq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichVazq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 8:30pm
Thanks a lot. I have just can go to he car on the weekends because I work a lot and the car is not at home. I will check that on Saturday and let you know. Thanks again
Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply