West of Scotland Volkswagen Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Tech advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Windscreen wiper arms and blades.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ewan Horne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windscreen wiper arms and blades.
    Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:43pm
Hi All

I feel a bit of a fraud on this forum, as I do not own a VW of any kind. However, I am hoping that someone can help me solve a problem with another classic car.

I own a 1989 Renault 4 GTL (I know, but it takes all kinds) which I recently imported from Portugal. The car came with original wiper arms and aftermarket blades. The arms for this car are no longer available new and it seems impossible to obtain blades that fit. The arms are only 5mm wide and I have not found a suitable blade fitting anywhere. The wiper spindles are 6mm diameter, with a tapered spline and an 8mm nut on the end.

I would like to update the setup with new arms and new blades that are readily available but have so far not found a way.

However, both the R4 and Beetles of the 50s and 60s had small flat windscreens and it looks to me as if some had the same type of spindle. Beetles are of course hugely more popular than the Renault 4, and it seems likely to me that this problem will have been solved in the Beetle world. Can anyone help me with this?

I know this is rather a cheeky request, but I hope that someone will allow a fellow classic enthusiast to benefit from their superior knowledge. I can't see a way of adding pictures to this post, but I'd be happy to email photos of the spindle etc to anyone.

Regards

Ewan Horne
93fxdl View Drop Down
Paid member
Paid member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 93fxdl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 4:30pm
Since most beetle parts are fairly available, although mostly pattern parts, trying to adapt parts is not usually needed,it may be easiest to buy a similar beetle arm and try it for fitting, or try making a hybrid using Renault vw parts blended togethe.
A large range of parts are available through the kit car market, another possible source
Ttfn Glenn
Or try an adaptor
https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/wiper-shaft-to-spline-converter/
Taper mount adjustable wiper arm
https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/black-taper-mount-adjustable-wiper-arm-300-to-400mm
Sorry you will have to copy and paste the links as I suck at IT

Edited by 93fxdl - 18 January 2019 at 4:45pm
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. Lack of funds is the mother of ingenuity
 Post Reply Post Reply